Thenvarikka is one of the sweetest jackfruit varieties from Kerala. It is very popular for its sweet taste as ‘Thenvarikka’ literally translates to ‘honey jackfruit’.
How does it taste?
- The fruit is very sweet and tastes like honey.
- The flesh is golden yellow in color.
- One fruit weighs around 15-18 Kg.
- It has a long shelf life compared to other local varieties.
- It can bear fruits within 5-6 years of planting.
- The tree can bear fruit in other seasons too.
- One stalk can bear 6-8 jackfruits at a time.
- In a season, a tree can bear 80-100 jackfruits.
- A rich source of vitamin C, potassium, dietary fiber, and some other essential vitamins and minerals.
- Jackfruit seeds may help reduce levels of low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol.
- Raw jackfruit helps in type 2 diabetes.
- Jackfruit is a rich source of antioxidants, that is essential for a healthy immune system.
- It contains substances with anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and antifungal properties that may also help promote wound healing.