Ambazham sweet (Spondias cytherea) is rapid-growing, attaining a height of 60 ft (18 m) in its homeland; generally not more than 30 or 40 ft (9-12 m) in other areas.it is a stately ornamental with deciduous, handsome, pinnate leaves, 8 to 24 in (20-60 cm) in length, composed of 9 to 25 glossy, elliptic or obovate-oblong leaflets 2 1/2 to 4 in (6.25-10 cm) long, finely toothed toward the apex. At the beginning of the dry, cool season, the leaves turn bright yellow and fall, but the tree with its nearly smooth, light gray-brown bark and graceful, rounded branches is not unattractive during the few weeks that it remains bare. Small, inconspicuous, whitish flowers are borne in large terminal panicles. They are assorted, male, female, and perfect in each cluster.
While still green and hard, the fruits fall to the ground, a few at a time, over a period of several weeks. As they ripen, the skin and flesh turn golden-yellow. While the fruit is still firm, the flesh is crisp, juicy and subacid, and has a somewhat pineapple-like fragrance and flavor.The ambarella is native from Melanesia through Polynesia and has been introduced into tropical areas of both the Old and New World. It is common in Malayan gardens and fairly frequent in India and Ceylon. The fruit is harvested green for the Asian commercial market whilst Europeans prefer the ripe fruit harvested when yellow or when there is color change and allowed to ripen in a few days.
Ambazham Sweet Benefits:
- The fresh or dried fruit can be made into jellies, sauces, or preserves.
- Often stewed and used as a replacement for apple on roast pork.
- It is a good source of minerals and vitamin C.
- Fresh leaves are added to curries, stews, and salads.
- One serving of ambarella fruit provides 48Kcal of energy, 1 gram of protein, 12 grams of carbohydrate, 233 IU of vitamin A, 30mg of vitamin C, 15 mg of calcium, 3 mg of iron and 22 grams of phosphorus.
- The fruit also contains dietary fiber and Vitamin B complex constituents like thiamine and riboflavin.
- Maintain healthy bones and teeth
- Helps to prevent heart disease, increase endurance, prevent mature aging